Hi, last fall my whole lawn was weeds. I had someone come in and kill it all,...

Hi, last fall my whole lawn was weeds. I had someone come in and kill it all, then lay black dirt to even the land and get some dirt above the sand (which is what most of the land is), put in irrigation and then seed. The lawn came in pretty nicely, but in many areas was sparse (we seeded early september). I want to know how to continue growth in year 2. I know i will get weeds if i don't put down a pre-emergent, but most of those don't seem to allow me to overseed for the whole summer. i'm wondering if i should overseed and worry about the crabgrass/weeds later or if I should try and prevent it. also, when overseeding can i just use a spreader without aerating first? there is lots of info online about seeding a new lawn, but i haven't seen anything about how to continue in year 2 after a fall start. thanks!

Ramsey County Minnesota

Overseed your new lawn this spring as soon as the soil surface is dry. As soon as the soil is dry briskly rake the soil surface until it is lightly scratched. A loose, 1/4 inch of surface soil is necessary to incorporate seed into the surface and ensure good seed and soil contact. Overseed your new lawn at a rate of about 1 to 2 pounds per 1,000 square feet. A selective herbicide like Siduron may be used on newly seeded lawns to reduce weed problems. http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/lawns/lawn-repair-in-spring/