For the last 2 years my tomato plants have gotten a black spot disease that...

For the last 2 years my tomato plants have gotten a black spot disease that first killed the leaves then the stalks. I was told that there is something missing in my soil. Can you please tell me what I might add to the soil to prevent this from happening again?

Beaver County Pennsylvania tomato diseases horticulture

Hello, and thanks for using the Ask an Expert System,

I cannot specifically identify your disease from your description, but I do believe that it is a bacterial or fungal disease rather than a a soil nutrient deficiency. I am attaching a link to a very good publication from the University of Iowa Extension called “Diseases and Disorders of Tomatoes.” You can download it free, and it has excellent photographs. You may be able to identify the problem with your tomatoes from these photos. http://www.extension.iastate.edu/publications/pm1266.pdf

If you have further questions you can contact your local Penn State Extension Office. You can contact the Beaver County office at
Address: 1000 Third Street, Suite #3, Beaver, PA 15009-2026
Phone: 724-774-3003
Office Hours Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.