container gardening on my west facing terrace

I would like to know which vegetables, herbs and flowers will do best on my terrace, which faces the west hills of Portland. The terrace has a chest height brick wall and naturally, gets the hot afternoon to evening sun. I have purchased a tall set of outdoor shelving to elevate my plants. I would love to grow tomatoes and basil, among other edibles. My daughter wants forget me notes and seems to prefer small, delicate looking flowers. An avid gardening friend has discouraged me from the garden because of the western exposure. Perhaps someone can just tell me what will best thrive in this environment. Thank you!

Multnomah County Oregon

Many vegetables and herbs will enjoy a hot location. Flowers, also. You'll need more water in a hot location, and there is bound to be some trial & error as you learn what works best.
I am not visualizing what you are planning, though, so more specific advice is difficult. What size containers for this garden? Will your shelves shade the plants below? What is your soil and water plan? What have you been growing in the area?
Perhaps a photo or two will help, if you can send one it.