Some years ago, I was associated with a professor at CSCC whose daughter was...

Some years ago, I was associated with a professor at CSCC whose daughter was working with someone at OSU in beekeeping. Through this person I learned that there are kinds of honeybees that are both good producers and have a more gentle disposition. Having kept bees many years ago, I always associated aggressive colonies with good production, but apparently, I simply did not know enough. I would be please to learn of an available honeybee type that has a gentle and workable disposition and is a good producer, plus, where to obtain a couple of colonies of these bees if that information is available. Thank you for your helpfulness, Bill Easley

Muhlenberg County Kentucky

The University of Arkansas has a publication comparing different races of honey bees.

http://uaex.edu/farm-ranch/special-programs/beekeeping/Bee-races-compare.pdf

In general, Italian, Carniolan and Caucasian honey bees are noted for their gentleness. Each race has other characteristics that can suit different needs.