Shrub damage: Hi. My euonymous (sp?) took a real beating this winter. The...

Shrub damage: Hi. My euonymous (sp?) took a real beating this winter. The foliage is really light…almost white and looks awful (some of my hollies are this way, too). I've lived in my home nearly 20 years and this is the first I've seen this happen. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

Frederick County Maryland shrubs winter burn

Your shrubs are suffering from winter burn. Many, if not most of our broadleaved evergreen shrubs suffered winter damage this year to some degree. Fortunately, this malady will not be fatal to your shrubs and trees. There may be some minor dieback and browning foliage, but such damage can be pruned out. You could give the affected twigs the 'thumbnail' test, i.e., scratch off a small bit of bark and look at the underlying tissue. If it is brown, it is dead and can be pruned out. If it is green, simply remove any dead leaves and watch for new foliage to emerge.
LS