Moles In Yard

Asked March 28, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT

I have several holes in my lawn (40 or so). They're approximately 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter with no mounding or piles of dirt around the holes. I thought they were maybe moles invading but when I look at mole infestation photos on the internet, most appear to have mounds of dirt adjacent to the holes. Do you offer the service of looking at the holes to give me some idea of what they are and how to combat them? Thanks so much. I live in the Four Seasons development off 896 in Glasgow.

New Castle County Delaware moles pests holes in lawn lawn pests

Afternoon,

I do not offer the service of looking at holes in homeowner lawns. Moles or voles in a yard will often cause sections of the lawn to become raised due to their tunneling underground. These often will leave noticeable trails. Other possible culprits could include crayfish, white grubs (green June beetle species; too early in year), earthworms (not likely as hole sounds too large), cicada killers (way too early) or solitary, non-aggressive bees (also too early in the year). I am unable to provide any reliable identification without knowing more about the site history and seeing evidence (via pictures since I do not visit homeowner properties) of the damage/culprit.

Brian
Thank you for your response. Since I wrote the letter last week, I and my next door neighbor have witnessed squirrels digging the holes, apparently digging up acorns.
I think I am safe.
Thank you.
Tom Rahmer

Tom,

Glad to hear the problem is solved.

Brian