fabric barrier

I am planning on putting in a garden. My ? is can I put in a fabric weed barrier and then cover it with good soil for the garden? How deep would the good soil need to be for good plant growth? I'm looking to grow vegetables and such. No flowers.

Williams County North Dakota horticulture

We generally do not use fabric weed barrier in a vegetable garden. You will be regularly cultivating the land and there is a strong likelihood you will tear the fabric. Once the fabric is torn, its benefits are compromised.

Good soil is key to a good garden. You need at least four inches of topsoil. Six to eight inches is better.

Organic matter can make a big difference. It can improve the overall fertility of the soil by adding nutrients, improving aeration, and helping the soil to bind onto water. Good sources of organic matter are compost, peat moss, and rotted manure. I would add an inch of organic matter to my garden every year and work it into the soil.

If you have concerns about the quality of your soil, you can take a soil test. Your local county extension office can help you by providing the soil test bags and forms. The fee for a garden is $18. This can be a worthwhile investment, especially in a new garden situation.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,
Tom