Planting Food for Ducks.

I was wondering about the proper seeds to buy for duck food vegetation. I will be planting this year in the Crockett, TX, Halletsville,TX and Victoria,TX area. All three places will have sufficient amounts of water for flooding. I have planted Japenese Millet in the past, it did fare. My question would be, do you have any recomendations for planting vegetation for ducks to have a solid source of food, that they will want? When would be the best planting dates in each area? Thank you in advance for your time.

Leon County Texas field crops wildlife habitat attracting wildlife ducks

Dear Leon Co. TX,Thank you for contacting Extension with your wildlife questions. Where you are located in TX, anything that would work in northern LA, central MS/AL, will work for you. Corn, wheat, rice, barley, oats, peas, sorghum, rye, millet, soybeans, and buckwheat are commonly planted for waterfowl. Goggle search this title, "Wetland Management for Waterfowl Handbook". This 136 page book was produced by the NRSC in 2007, and is an excellent resource. We, Alabama Extension, have a couple of pubs (ANR-0485 & 0611) on our site: www.aces.edu that will be helpful to you. I would also encourage you to look at Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, and MissSt Extension websites. Print out the "Waterfowl Handbook", and after you get an opportunity to look at it, give me a holler. My email is ajb0012@aces.edu. I hope this helps. Blessings - Andy