I have a birch tree that continues to have some significant amount of dead...

Asked March 24, 2014, 12:36 AM EDT

I have a birch tree that continues to have some significant amount of dead branches. I'd like to salvage it. Is there a way to determine if it is due to disease or infects and how to correct it? Also, I have a very large pine tree which has another smaller tree growing close to it and hardly of the branches on the lower 3/4 of the pine tree are growing. If I cut down the smaller tree, will the lower branches on the pine fill out? Thanks!

Anoka County Minnesota

An arborist would be the person to diagnose your birch tree. They are short lived trees in the city. Birch live in forests and hot urban lots with lots of grass are unfavorable locations. The health of the tree can be improved by mulching under the tree out to the drip line of the tree. Grass is a big competitor of water and grass under the birch will stress it. Be sure to water the tree every week and try to water out to the drip line. The drip line is as far out the roots of the tree extend and since one can't see this it is usually the spread of the branches. Regarding the Pine, once the branches are dead they will not come back or be replaced with new branches, if there are green needles left on the branches removing the shorter tree may give the branches enough light to fill out.