Identify water plant

Asked March 18, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT

This plant has appeared in our pond . I was not able to locate it in the emergent plants list. The plant has about a two foot smooth round stem and has roots on the bottom, upper stem at water level is red and the leaves have red veins.. It sort of looks like the 'floating flowers'. Would like to know if it should be removed or left to grow. There are allot of them around the edge of our pond.

Madison County Texas

That it water primrose. Water primrose is a perennial plant that stands erect along the shoreline but also forms long runners (up to 16 feet) that creep across wet soil or float out across the water surface. These runners form roots at their nodes. Leaves range from lance-shaped or willow-like (2 to inches long by 1/2 to 1 inch wide) on the erect stems to round or oval 91 to 2 inches in diameter on the floating stems. Leaves can be green to reddish depending on the species. The single flowers are yellow with 4 or 5 petals depending on the species. Flowers vary in size from 1 inch to 2 inches in diameter.

It is a native species and often is not problematic. In some cases it can become a nuisance species with the right conditions (typically with lots of shallow water and high nutrient loads). Water primrose can be cut and the roots can be dug up but physical control is difficult because it can reestablish from seeds or remaining roots. There is no known biological control for water primrose, although goats are known to forage on many types of emergent vegetation. Herbicide options that provide excellent control include diquat, triclopyr, glyphosate, imazamox, and imazapyr.

Thank you very much for your timely response to my request.. I am happy to know that my plant is a native plant . It is quite attractive and will give cover to smaller fish and frogs - hopefully so they can escape those water birds that want to live in my pond too. Again,thank you.