Peach Tree Disease

Last year, my peach tree suffered from a disease that turned all the peaches brown and wilted them. There was also a lot of sticky sap coming out of the tree along the branches. Is this brown rot, bacterial canker, or something else and can it be treated? I have another peach tree nearby which I planted last year and I don't want to get infected.

Bucks County Pennsylvania tree health peaches fruit trees peach trees

Your description of the fruit does sound like brown rot which is a disease caused by a fungus. It is controlled through the application of a fungicide. The incidence will vary depending on the weather. It is more prevalent later in the growing season but can occur shortly after bloom under certain conditions. The sticky sap coming from the tree can be caused by numerous events. The sap is a natural wound response and may occur if there are peach tree borers, winter injury or another disease called Cytospora canker. I would suggest that you take a sample to your local county extension office to see if someone there can better determine the cause of the problem.

Hi RobThanks for the response. I have taken photos of the sap problem which seems severe and on a large portion of the tree. You can see both a wilted peach and the sap in the picture (003).

Hi Rob, thanks for the response. I have taken photos of the sap problem which seems severe and on a large portion of the tree. You can see both a wilted peach and the sap in the picture (003).