Expensive tree roots in my drain

I have been blessed with a huge tree right in front of my home. Didn't realize, when I moved in here, that I would need to "roto root" it, once or twice a year. Would love to find a permanent solution to this expensive procedure. Are there any ways to kill these roots, once and for all? Any suggestions will be very much appreciated!! Thank you for your time. A Sr. lady in Oelwein, IA

Fayette County Iowa

Unfortunately, tree removal and pipe replacement are the only long term solution to the problem. For tree removal to be effective, the stump should be treated with a herbicide to destroy the tree's root system. Pipe replacement involves removing the old, defective sewer line and laying down a new pipe. Tree removal and pipe replacement are both costly.

Mechanically removing the roots with winches, jetters, or other devices only provide short term relief.