Vines for Full Shade

Asked March 7, 2014, 3:16 PM EST

Hi! I have a spot on the north side of my garage( in Englewood) that I would like to put a trellis and a vine. This spot is full shade and freezes hard during the winter so something hardy is needed. I would love something that flowers but would consider anything. People have suggested climbing hydrangea but I have heard it is poisonous to dogs. Any suggestions?

Arapahoe County Colorado perennial flowers flowers: annuals and herbaceous perennials

Climbing hydrangea is shade tolerant and does well in zone 5. You are correct that this plant can be poisonous to animals, so if you have a dog, that may not be the best choice.

There are a few vines that may work in your location but they don't produce flowers or the flowers are insignificant. They will all do well in or tolerate full shade.

English Ivy--evergreen and the glossy dark green leaves are very attractive. However, this vine does work its way under eaves and wood trim so it needs to be pruned periodically to keep it in check.

Virginia Creeper--a fast growing vine and isn't as invasive as English Ivy. Deciduous with good fall color.

Boston Ivy--Tolerates full shade. Good fall color with some sun. Also needs to be kept in check by trimming.