Social Workers understanding basic financial planning

Asked March 6, 2014, 11:25 AM EST

I've been asked to provide a class to local case workers on how to assist clients first before sending them to a financial planner. Where can I find what I should teach them?

Montgomery County Maryland personal finance financial planning process social work

Finance educators working in the Cooperative Extension system specialize in providing basic personal financial education to citizens, not for profit organizations and businesses in communities. It is not unusual for an Extension educator to deliver an in-service educational program such as this to social workers - sometimes even with an arrangement for social work CEU's to be awarded to attendees. Perhaps you would like to partner with an educator in your area to prepare or to co-teach with them for this audience. While the finance educator position in Montgomery County is currently open, we do have, through The University of Maryland Extension: Nancy Lewis, nlewis12@umd.edu, 301-600-1594 in the Frederick, Maryland office and Mia Russell, mbr@umd.edu, 410-386-2760 in the Westminster, Maryland office. Either may be available to assist. Additionally, please feel free to use any of the resources at eXtension Personal Finance for educational purposes.