Planting Peas before Tomatoes?

Asked March 4, 2014, 2:33 PM EST

Can I plant snap and snow peas right now (beginning of March) and expect them to be done producing by the time I want to put tomato starts in the ground in the same garden bed? Thank you!

Multnomah County Oregon fruits and vegetables horticulture

Thank you for your question to Ask an Expert.

Great idea to try to plant two crops per year in each bed to get the most out of your garden. If you plant peas now, they will take 7-10 days to germinate and then grow for about 60 days until first harvest. That would take you to mid-May and then peas continue producing for about a month. So, if you plan to remove the peas before they have totally petered out and plant the tomatoes in the first half of June, then your timing will likely work. Also, if you can plant the tomatoes in another location, you could plant carrots, beets or other crops after the peas are totally finished producing in late June or early July.

Please let me know if you have any further questions