In Dakota County, Minnesota, should I start brussels sprouts indoors and then...

Asked March 3, 2014, 2:19 PM EST

In Dakota County, Minnesota, should I start brussels sprouts indoors and then transfer them to the garden once the soil warms or is our growing season long enough that I can plant them directly into the garden? Thank you.

Dakota County Minnesota

Cole crops are generally transplanted for a summer crop. Start seeds indoors in early April or 4-6 weeks before transplanting. For fall crops, start seeds in June for Brussels sprouts or storage cabbages, and July for broccoli, broccoli raab, cauliflower, or Chinese cabbage. Kohlrabi can also be direct seeded at 1 inch apart and 1/4 to 1/2 inches deep. Thin emerged seedlings to create 4 inches of space between plants. Chinese cabbage is generally grown only as a fall crop because it tends to bolt, or produce flowering stalks, if exposed to late spring frosts or over a week of nights below 50° F. However, satisfactory spring production can be achieved with the use of floating or supported row covers that lessen the effect of cool nights.