canning venison mincemeat

The recipe for venison mincemeat from the Oregon Beef Council doesn't call for water bath or pressure processing, but I see some recipes do. I make it with cooked elk meat, fruits, vinegar, spices and did a hot pack to seal (like jam). Will it spoil?

Lane County Oregon food safety food processing

Glad you sent your question to be answered. What you did is VERY unsafe and could cause botulism poisoning which is the most serious food borne illness. Please do not eat your mince meat it could make you very ill..

The reason the recipe did not give canning instructions is because it was not tested for canning. When ever you mix low acid foods such as venison with high acid foods apples, raisin you can risk botulism poisoning unless the recipe is tested specifically for canning.

I would suggest you go to the OSU Lane County Extension Website
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lane/food-preservation/publications
scroll down to meat and download PNW 361 Canning Meat and Poultry. There is a tested recipe for mincemeat with canning instructions on page 10.

On page 6 and 7 it tells you how to properly dispose of your improperly canned mincemeat so you do not risk illness.

When canning always use reliable up-to-date researched based resources so you do not risk spoilage and illness.

Thanks for using Ask and Expert

Nellie Oehler
Nellie Oehler