Dormant Weeds

Asked February 21, 2014, 11:17 AM EST

I've just moved into a new home ---with an atrocious lawn. Fortunately, I love pulling weeds. Question: Does it do any good for me to pull dormant weeds? The soil is fairly soft; I seem to be getting the root. I don't want to disturb the seeds and stir up more weeds. The 3 things I most want to get rid of are the things in the pictures (Dead stick things in Pic 1;dormant weeds and green weeds that I used Roundup on in Pic 2 and 3). What should I do? Thank you!

Nolan County Texas

If your lawn is dormant an application of roundup will help with winter weeds.You can continue to pull weeds and this also will lesson your weed load.You might want to consider applying a pre-emergence as temps warm weeds will continue to germinate, a couple of applications of a herbicide during the growing season will also help.If lawn has been neglected lessening your weed load and a little TLC will go a long way to restoring a healthy lawn.