Home canning

I would like to add mild green chili's to my canned tomatoes, what kind of peppers do I use and is there any special preparation I need to do to the pepper?

Lane County Oregon

When adding extra vegetables to canned tomatoes it becomes a safety concern. Tomatoes are considered a high acid food and peppers a low acid food so if you start adding peppers to tomatoes then the proecessing time would not be correct and you could have a risk food borne illness.

The only tested recipe is to take 22 pounds of tomatoes and add up to 3 cups of chopped peppers. Hot pack is recommended and each jar needs to have 1 T bottle lemon juice per pint or 2 per quart added to each jar. Processing time is 35 minutes for pints and 45 for quarts in a boiling water canner.

The only other safe method would be to can the tomatoes using the pepper processing time which is 35 minutes per pint in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure for weighted gauge or 11 pounds for dial gauge canner. No tested times have been developed for canning peppers in quarts.

You can add any kind of peppers depending on how 'Hot" you want the end product.

Please go to the Lane County Extension Food preservation website and go to publications. We have some good information on preserving tomatoes that you can down load.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lane/food_safety

Thanks for using Ask and Expert

Nellie Oehler