Styrofoam in the bottom of planting containers

There has been great debate at the Garden Center I work at about the need to add styrofoam to bottom of containers for better drainage. I am against it for a variety of reasons. The most important one being that I feel it limits the available root space in the pot for the plant. My boss strongly feels otherwise. Is there any kind of science to back up my thoughts that styrofoam in the bottom of containers is not a healthy for the plants?

Thank You!

Hi
Great question, let me try to answer it for you? As far as i am aware there is no research showing the use of styrofoam in the bottom of a container creates a non healthy condition for the plants. On the other hand there is no research showing it creates a positive condition either. It was primarily put in pots originally when you had a big tall pot to reduce the cost of media, reduce overall weiight of the pots and just an overall reduction of potting costs. It is not as good for the plant as having a good growning media though, but it has it obvious uses. Hope that helps and sorry I couldnt take your side but i didnt take the otehr side eitehr? Let me know if you have any other questions?
Steve