Goat head killer

We have a pretty good patch (1/4 acre) of goat heads I would like to get rid of. Is there a good pre emergent I can use? And where can I get it?

Lubbock County Texas

Goat head (puncturevine) can be partially controlled by pre-emergent herbicides. Then after populations are reduced, escapes can be controlled by hoeing or by spot spraying in-season with a hormone type herbicide containing 2,4-D or Dicamba.The pre-emergent herbicides that can be applied on established turf grasses include products like Oryzalin or Benefin (Sold as Greenlight Amaze), Pendimethlin (Sold as Scotts Halts Crabgrass preventer) or Trifluralin (Southern Ag Team Pro = Benefin + Trifluralin). These products can be found at the garden centers of home improvement stores in Lubbock or at most Farm Stores.Just a reminder to follow all the label directions. These pre-emergent herbicides are optimally applied from mid Feb to Mid March in the Lubbock area before the weed seeds germinate. Also, even though they have low toxicity to animals, these are labeled for turf grass. Thus, they are not all labeled for use in pastures where animals are being grazed.Finally, reduction of seed numbers is important. Dragging an old piece of carpet across the area is a good way to pick up and dispose of many goat head seeds.I hope you find this information helpful. If you need further details, you can contact the Lubbock County office of Texas A&M AgriLife Extension at 806/ 775-1680. Thanks for the question.