Using dead oak as firewood

I plan to cut down a dead oak tree in my yard that most likely died of oak wilt. The tree has been dead for 2 years and the bark is falling off the trunk. Can I store the cut oak for firewood for next season or can it transmit the oak wilt to nearby healthy oaks? Is cutting the tree down in March OK? Also, how effective has the treatment of oak trees by injection of Alamo proved to be in preventing the spread of oak wilt?

Grand Traverse County Michigan forestry trees and shrubs disease issues forest health

Hello and thank you for question. As you are finding out, oak wilt is a very serious problem. I am glad you are asking lots of questions about what to do! Alamo is a brand name of a fungicide. There are other names/brands with the same active ingredient. From the research I did I was able to find that the active ingredient in Alamo disrupts the development of the disease but it does not 'cure' the tree. The tree will probably need to be treated every 2/3 years. For your firewood question I am giving you a link to a one page article from MN that you should find helpful for all your questions: www.dnr.state.mn.us/treecare/forest_health/oakwilt/whatcanido/HTML. If you have been working with a tree care company it is best to find one that has certified arborists. And NO pruning in the summer months! I hope this is helpful for you. Please let us know if you have further questions.