Meat question

Asked February 7, 2014, 12:09 PM EST

Hi. I want to make and sell bacon jam, the main component being cooked bacon. Is this still considered a regular jam under the Cottage Food Law, or would I be required to obtain special licensing and be required to prepare the jam in a commercial kitchen facility? I am cooking the bacon, then processing the cooked jam in a water bath as with any other type of jam, such as a fruit jam.

Oakland County Michigan

5 Responses

No, bacon jelly is not considered a food that can be produced under the Cottage Food Law. Any food product being sold to consumers that has 3% or more of its contents as meat must be made in a USDA inspected plant. A USDA Food Safety Inspection Service Inspector must be present during processing. The only exception is if the operation is selling product made out of their retail establishment (not wholesale) and are a licensed food establishment that is inspected by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD). Product produced in a retail exempt MDARD licensed food establishment that contains meat cannot be sold at a farmers market or from another location.

Thank you, Jeannine!

So it's impossible for me to, on my own, make and sell bacon jam, even with a food handlers license?

i am desperate to find out how i can start my business!

It is not impossible but would require USDA inspection for bacon jam.

The MSU Product Center can help you look at feasibility and requirements for starting your own business. You can contact them through their website

The Niche Meat Processors Assistance Network (part of also has information regarding starting a meat business.