I am under educated in lawn care. I currently have and account with a local...

Asked January 28, 2014, 11:21 AM EST

I am under educated in lawn care. I currently have and account with a local company in Maryland to maintain my lawn They have suggested Season Long Grub Protection for me at 176.00 dollars. I am on well water and have Kentucky Blue Grass Is this necessary

Baltimore County Maryland

The only time we suggest grub control is when you have a damaging number of them. Not infrequently people assume they have a problem with grubs when they don't, or damage they see is in fact being caused by something else.
The only way to know if you should consider treatment is to dig up a square foot area of your turf in April or May and count the number of grubs that you find. If there are 8-10 or more, you could treat. We generally recommend using turf-type tall fescue for Maryland lawns, as Kentucky Blue can have more grub damage.
There are some newer classes of chemicals for grubs which are much more environmentally safe than in the past. You should request (or use if you do it yourself), an insecticidal grub control with the active ingredient of Acelepryn. Follow all label directions carefully.