I live in Clintonville in Columbus and there are rats living near my house. I...

I live in Clintonville in Columbus and there are rats living near my house. I have a burrow near my foundation and have seen their tracks in the snow. What should I do to get rid of them. Thanks, Janet

Franklin County Ohio integrated pest management rodents urban integrated pest management rats

The first thing I would do would be to contact your local Health Department. Rats are a vector for a number of diseases to humans, and your county health department may handle this for you.

You might also want to download this article on rats: http://icwdm.org/handbook/rodents/ro_b105.pdf . It gives good information on what you can do to keep them out of your home. Please be advised that this article is several years old, and while the techniques are still valid, any chemicals listed may no longer be available.

Please email me directly (address below) if you have any other questions.