Natural honey is foaming and seeping out of the jar

Asked January 15, 2014, 10:12 AM EST

I bought some raw honey from a local bee keeper and it was sealed in pint jars--not processed --in canning jars with lids. It is now foaming and seeping out of the jars. I transferred 1 pint into a quart jar and now the quart jar is nearly full of the foaming honey--almost looks like honey butter. It started out "normal" and others who have bought from her haven't had any change in the honey. I've had it for a couple of months, I think. I'm a little nervous about using it, of course, since it seems to be growing; I've canned food myself for years, I know what other "growing" canned food can do to you. I have no experience with honey changing except to crystalize. Thanks--

Marion County Oregon food safety home food preservation honey raw honey

Looks like your honey is fermenting. Here is an excellent site with information and pictures about honey:

http://www.kimesapiary.com/Fermentation.html

This site is provided for informational purposes only as eXtension does not endorse it.

Thank you for using eXtension.