Growing Olives in eastern Webb County

Will olive trees grow in eastern Webb County and, if so, what type? Where will I find information on when to plant, etc?

Webb County Texas

Climate is the most important limiting factor in the growth and development of the olive in Texas and elsewhere. Temperature controls growth, reproduction, and survival of the olive. After temperatures warm to 70 degrees in the spring growth begins and continues until temperatures drop below 70 degrees in the fall.
Most of South Texas does not experience enough cool vernalization weather (cool nights 35-50 F) to set flower buds. In this case, the olive could be grown as an ornamental if not enough cold is received to set fruit.
I would suggest to get a soil test before planting as olives will tolerate a variety of soils from sands to clay with a PH of 5.5 to 8.5. Soil test information sheets can be picked up at my office or on line. Soils must also be well drained.
Please call me at 956-721-2626 or 2627 to further discuss olive production in eastern Webb County.
Thank you.