a variety consists of a group of plants having the same genotype right?
so , under plant breeding , my books gives different types of hybridisations. one of them is intravarietal and other is intervarietal- intraspecific.
please can you explain how can intravarietal hybridisation be done? i am confused because i think if their genotypes are same then how am i going to form a hybrid using them?
Outside United States
Think of the second type as intergeneric or interspecific hybridization instead of intravarietal hybridization. Plant hybridization can be of two types.
- Intervarietal hybridization
- Distant hybridization
- Intergeneric hybridization – crossing between parents from the two different genera
- Interspecific hybridization – crossing between parents from two different species
- Choice of parents
- Evaluation or testing of parents
- Protection of male parent
- Pollination and bagging, tagging