Soil Testing

Hello, I am in Corpus Christi and would like to have a soil test done. Where can I get a soil test kit? Also, is there anyone in this area that helps beginning gardeners? I just moved to TX and would be a first time vegetable gardener.

Nueces County Texas fruits and vegetables gardening horticulture soil and fertility issues

Hello! You are in luck! This whole month of January there is a FREE soil test campaign going on in Corpus Christi. This includes samples for turf, vegetable gardens and landscapes. You can pick up your soil testing kit at Gill Nursery which has two locations: (2810 Airline Road, Corpus Christi, TX 78414), or (4441 South Alameda, Corpus Christi, TX 78412). You can also pick up a soil test from Turners Gardenland which is located on (6503 South Padre Island Drive, Corpus Christi, TX 78412). The kit and instructions will be available to you at these locations. You have until January 31, 2014 to pick up your kit and drop off your samples at the Corpus Christi Water Utilities Building, Corpus Christi City Hall, or the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service Office. (The addresses for these drop off locations will be provided to you when you pick up your soil kit). Take advantage of this wonderful opportunity!I would suggest you sign up and join the Nueces Master Gardeners Association. They provide classes and trainings for first time or beginner gardeners. Classes begin in August but if you are interested, or just want basic information on gardening please give the Texas A&M Agrilife Extension Service Office a call at 361.767.5217 and I would be happy to speak to you about opportunities and resources that we have to offer. I can also mail you information regarding plants, fruits, trees, and vegetables that grow best in this area and type of climate.I hope this helps! Please call the office or send me an email at Jessica.Weizer@ag.tamu.edu if you have any questions. Take care!