Live Oak Triming & Shaping

Asked December 27, 2013, 11:47 AM EST

Live Oak 30' to 35' high & approximately 40' wide. Was trimed after a recent ice storm. Several broken limbs removed. Much inside growth was removed leaving long limbs with the most growth at the end of the limbs. You can easily see through from any direction. I am conderned that another ice storm may cause those limbs to break. If most of the growth on ends are removed it will leave a stump looking appearance. Is it recommended to leave as is to regain inside growth, or take other measures.
Thanks for your advise, Jerry Leach

Collin County Texas trees and shrubs urban forestry horticulture

My best advice is to nothing further to the tree. In my opinion the tree was over pruned. I understanding removing broken branches but it appears that too much of the canopy was removed. When more than 20 to 30% of the canopy is removed it can place stress on the trees, which leads to insect and disease problems. Considering we have had 3 years of drought we should not do anything that may stress our trees.

I recommend that you don't any more trimming on the tree. You likely won't have to prune the tree for 3 to 5 years. At that point the tree will likely refill the space. It is recommend that you use a reputable, certified arborist for your tree care and pruning. You can locate a certified arborist by visiting: http://www.isa-arbor.com/faca/findArborist.aspx