aluminum stock pot has barnacles

I have an old 12 qt. Mirro Aluminum stock pot that belonged to my mother, and it is my favorite for making soups. My husband used it to boil crabs and left it sitting outside. It is covered with white crusty bumps all over inside and out that look like barnacles. Is there any way to repair the pot?

Alameda County California

I have done some research on this and assume that the exposure to the elements has caused a chemical reaction of sorts. Aluminum is a very durable metal and for cooking purposes is often combined with other metals to make a harder alloy. There are several ways to clean aluminum using natural products such as cream of tartar, lemon juice or vinegar, baking soda, water and a steel wool soap pad. However, I think I would first contact the manufacturer and ask their advice. Mirro aluminum cookware was manufactured from 1909-2003. There is a website that you can contact that is managed by Wearever Aluminum that has a link whereby you can contact them with your question. It is http://www.wearever.com/mirro . I think that is where you should start so they can better advise you as to the removal of what you are describing. You also may need to provide them with any information that my be on the bottom of exterior of the pot, such as if it is anodized aluminum. I think getting their recommendations for cleaning will better preserve the durability and beauty of your stock pot.