Medical insurance for young adult

I have a 19 old daughter. She is eligible to be on my insurance until she is 26 because she is in school. It costs me a lot. Is it possible for her to get basic health under the affordable care act?

Washtenaw County Michigan health finance insurance health insurance affordable care act

You may want to shop the Marketplace to compare costs and coverage. Your daughter is welcome to purchase insurance in the Marketplace, but it's important to make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples with what is covered and what it costs. Using the Smart Choice Consumer Workbook to compare plans may be very helpful. You can download it at www.aca.msue.msu.edu. This workbook will help walk you through the comparison process.

In addition know that young adults under aged 30 can purchase catastrophic health care coverage and this will satisfy the requirement for health insurance. Look for those types of policies on the Marketplace also. But be aware that this coverage is only for a major accident or illness, not routine health care.