Horses and bean straw

Asked December 11, 2013, 11:14 AM EST

Can bean straw be put out for horses? They have regular hay, to eat, but thought maybe they could use the bean straw to lay on. Also wanted to put it in the building they go into to give the floor some cushion. Will it hurt them if they eat it? And is it to itchy for them to lay on?

Fayette County Iowa horses straw

I don't think any research has been done on bean straw specifically. However, like most other straw, it is a good bedding source and as long as horses have plenty of good quality hay to eat they should not be consuming the straw. If they do consume the straw in small quantities it should not be a problem. However, I would be most concerned if they ran out of hay and were using the straw to replace the majority of their diet. The low digestibility of straw could cause impaction. Therefore make sure they do have plenty of hay when using the straw as a bedding source.