I am wondering what these small bugs are in my bathroom. I thought it was...

I am wondering what these small bugs are in my bathroom. I thought it was just rust but when I brushed it away I saw that there were small bugs in the piles. There are a few areas in the bathroom and then another area behind our fish tank. Help!

Prince George's County Maryland

What you have in your bathroom looks like the debris of an acrobat ant colony. Acrobat ants have the habit of dumping old insect parts and other "trash" they don't want. While you probably will never see the acrobat ants, you know they are there by the dump piles they kick out. Acrobat ants like to inhabit damp wood, compromised wood (that has been wet and is now soft and/or rotten), and insulation. In order to reach them in order to control them, you will probably need the services of a pest control company. Since companies will come out and assess and give cost estimates for free, you can get more than one estimate. In addition, you need to correct the moisture problems that are probably wetting the wood structure of your house.

Here in our general fact sheet on ants in the house which is nice background material: http://extension.umd.edu/learn/ants-and-their-control-hg-7