I recently planted 2 winterberry bushes--male and female. The male had some...

I recently planted 2 winterberry bushes--male and female. The male had some white, waxy nodule-looking things pop up on it. I panicked and picked them off. There was an orangish mass inside. Then I saw someone else's male bush with the same things on it and thought maybe they were beneficial. Couldn't find them on your web site. I took a pic, but I can't get it to upload here. Should I email it to you? Another one has come on my male bush over night. If they're beneficial, I'll leave it there. Thanks.

Calvert County Maryland shrubs indian wax scale winterberry holly

From your description, it sounds like you may be dealing with Indian wax scale. This is not a beneficial insect. Wax scale is a soft scale and a sucking insect. They produce a honeydew which fosters the growth of a sooty mold. This insect can cause leaf yellowing, stunting, and dieback. Please look at our Plant Diagnostic Website for photos and more information. http://plantdiagnostics.umd.edu/level3.cfm?causeID=97
At this point, since you do not have a large infestation, simply handpick and dispose of.
To send us photos of the insect, you will have to upload them to your computer and then attach the photos via this site.