Is canned mustard safe?

I canned 48 jars of mustard in 2 oz hex jars with single lids, I never heard them "pop" and can not tell if they are sealed. I let them sit out "rest" for 24 hours. Now they are in the fridge. I wanted to give them out as Christmas gifts. Are they safe to give away as gifts if I write perishable and please use 2-3 months? Should I try the waterbath again?

King County Washington

I am glad you put them in the refrigerator. You did not say where you got your recipe for canned mustard. The only one that is recommended for canning is the one that is found in the Ball Canning book published in Canada, not the Ball Blue Book.
If you keep them in the refrigerator and when you give them tell them to keep them refrigerated, they should be safe. I hope your recipe has lots of vinegar or bottled lemon juice in it. I definitely would not reprocess them and would keep them refrigerated.

Regular mustard will keep for a long time in the refrigerator.

Thanks for using Ask an Expert

Nellie Oehler