Treating for bed bugs

Asked December 10, 2013, 8:20 AM EST

What does it mean when an apartment first has a "wet" treatment and then later a heat treatment and what would the normal waiting time be before doing the heat treatment?

Greenville County South Carolina

I'm not sure what a "wet" treatment would be. I'm guessing an insecticide treatment. Many bed bugs are somewhat resistant to pyrethoid insecticides. I would check with your apt management for clarification on what a wet treatment means.

I've not heard of a set wait period between insecticide treatment and heat. Heat, when applied correctly, usually is more effective than insecticides. With heat treatments the idea is to get the temperature high enough to kill bedbugs in all stages of life. The tricky bit is getting the room hot enough to allow for insulation (cushions, mattresses, drywall, etc.) between the heater and where the bugs are.

This publication may be of interest http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/ENTO/ENTO-31/ENTO-31-PDF.pdf on ways to protect your home.