Can I safely ship homemade bread, brownies, cookies?

Asked November 19, 2013, 7:30 AM EST

I would like to mail these to Fort Worth, Texas, : Hill AFB Utah, : Des Moines, Iowa for Thanksgiving. Are they safe to mail and how would I package them so they will stay fresh? I have looked for articles On Usda and Usps website and it wasn't enough information. I need this info soon. Thank You for all your help.

Marion County Iowa food safety food preservation

I am attaching some instructions for mailing food items. I would recommend using the postage that will get it there the fastest. Both the post office and UPS should be able to tell you how long it will take to ship to those towns. Since it is not going out of the country I don't think you will have problems with spoilage if you get the priority shipping.

MAILING FOOD Mailing food and treats to others is sometimes more complicated than it sounds. The most important thing to remember is not to send foods that are perishable or that cannot tolerate rough handling. The potential for food spoilage and/or loss of quality can be a problem depending upon the destination of that food gift. We don’t want that food item to be a problem for the recipient rather than a gift.

WHAT TO AVOID; WHAT TO SEND? Do not send perishables requiring refrigeration, like cheese, fresh fruit or fresh meats. Avoid sending moist, soft rich baked products, such as cake, muffins, quick breads (like pumpkin or banana bread) and soft cookies or bars because they are susceptible to mold. Fragile food, like delicate sugar cookies or pastries, probably won’t make the trip intact. Homemade cookies that are firm, crisp, dry and not too thin should be all right. Products made with real chocolate, like chocolate candies or chocolate chip cookies could melt if your gift is going to a warm weather destination. Imitation or chocolate-flavored baking chips may hold up better because the melting point is higher. Candies made with confectioner’s coating (like almond bark coating) will melt less than those made with real chocolate.

HOW DO I PACK THESE FOODS FOR MAILING? Pack food items carefully. Wrap pairs of cookies back to back. Choose a sturdy container. Line the container with foil or plastic wrap. Place heavier items in the bottom of the container. Filler between the packages could be firmly crumpled waxed paper or unsalted, unbuttered popcorn. Ship with one day delivery if at all possible to maintain that freshness.