Water and air testing

Asked November 15, 2013, 11:09 AM EST

Hello, I live in the Beaver Creek area, and have a well. I would like to have our well water tested to make sure it's safe but, don't know what parameters to use. Also, I would like to have our crawl space air tested for radon. Can you give me some advice or tips on how to accomplish these two tests? Thanks in advance for whatever you can do, Lon

Clackamas County Oregon

2 Responses

Hello Lon-
Thanks for your questions about your well and testing for radon. Fortunately, the tests are pretty standard and readily available. For your well, the most common environmental health parameters to test for are arsenic, nitrates and fecal coliforms. The Oregon Health Authority maintains a list of accredited laboratories that can perform this analysis. The list of labs and contact information can be accessed here:

For radon, the best place to state is also the Oregon Health Authority. Brett Sherry is a contact person there. His phone number is 971-673-0440.

You can also find information about results around Oregon and ordering a home test kit at: http://public.health.oregon.gov/HealthyEnvironments/RadiationProtection/RadonGas/Pages/index.aspx

I hope this information helps. Good luck!

Dave Stone
Toxicologist - Oregon State University

Hello Dave, Thank you very much for the quick and helpful response.