Should I stick with Medicare in 2014?

Asked November 12, 2013, 6:24 AM EST

I am a healthy 72 yr. old woman who has been on Medicare since I retired late in 1990. I do not take any prescription drugs at this time. I assume I should stay with Medicare and not plan to switch -- what would be your thoughts on this? My supplemental insurance is with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Thanks for your help.

Black Hawk County Iowa

I am assuming your question is in regard to whether you should seek insurance in the marketplace. People on Medicare do not qualify for insurance in the marketplace. You might consider meeting with a SHIIP volunteer who can enter all of your information into a calculator that will determine which supplemental insurance is best for you...based on medications, etc. To find the SHIIP volunteer nearest you, call 1-800-351-4664, TTY 1-800-735-2942 or email them at shiip@iid.iowa.gov.