Water rights on private property Clakamus County

Asked November 8, 2013, 1:00 PM EST

I am looking at buying a 5-acre wooded parcel in Colton with Milk Creek running through it. It looks like I could easily excavate a pond site close to the creek with the overflow returning to the stream bed. Great place for water fowl, etc. What are the specific regulations governing such an undertaking? Lynn Irons

Clackamas County Oregon

1 Response

Glad to learn of your interest to develop a pond for wildlife.

Depending on the size of the pond, a permitting process may be required. You can inquire on planning ponds and ask about permitting requirements through the Clackamas County Soil and Water Conservation District.

The regional water master with the Oregon Water Resources Dept. can advise you on the technicalities of diverting water flow from a stream to fill a pond..

Western Region
Bill Ferber, Region Manager
725 Summer St NE, Suite A
Salem, Oregon 97301
Phone: 503-986-0893
Fax: 503-986-0903

Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Sam Chan
Statewide Watershed Health and Aquatic Invasive Species Specialist.
Sea Grant Extension, Oregon State University

503 679-4828.