Yew trees getting dieback

Asked November 5, 2013, 3:08 AM EST

I have planted a row of Irish Yews, Taxus baccata 'Fastigiata' about 12 months ago and had had continuing problems with dieback. I don't know if they are getting too much water or too little or what their problem is. What do people think from the photos? It's coming into summer here in Australia, and I'm wondering if the lawn irrigation is overspraying onto them enough to cause this. Am thinking I should not water them at all, and leave to the rain, but rain has been lacking leading up to summer, or buy a moisture sensor....

Outside United States trees and shrubs australia yew dieback

Hello Mark.

Although available moisture is a major player in establishing trees, it is not possible to rule out other factors that may be contributing to die-back of your Yews based on the information you have provided. Here is a document from Purdue University that addresses die-back in Yews that may help you narrow down the problem http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-51.pdf