Bo-Se vs. selenium gel for goats

Asked November 4, 2013, 11:33 AM EST

I am new to raising goats and have a 2 yr old nigerian dwarf doe that I had bred last week. I am trying to understand what I should be doing for selenium supplementation. Is oral selenium w/ vit.E gel sufficient (that is what the local breeder I purchased the doe from recommends) or should I be getting a Rx for Bo-se from a veterinarian? What is the recommended schedule for administering Se supplements? I do provide kelp and minerals that contain Se. I know the Willamette Valley is very Se deficient so is there still a concern of reaching Se toxicity giving Bo-se? Thanks so much!!

Benton County Oregon

Do not double up on the selenium. I would follow the breeder's instructions in this case. If you get hay from Central Oregon, it also contains selenium. If using local hay, supplementation may indeed be necessary.