The Brown Pine

Asked November 1, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT

I have a pine needle tree at my Church that is turning brown. The Middle of the tree is turning brown needles. I was wondering if it has a diease or not, and why is it turning brown, a pine needle tree always stays green.

Denver County Colorado urban forestry shrubs and trees

If the interior needles of the pine tree are turning brown but the rest of the tree (including the tips of the branches) is green, there is probably nothing to be concerned about. That is normal for this time of year. Evergreen trees usually shed some of their innermost needles in the fall just as deciduous trees lose their leaves. However, if the tips of the branches or whole branches are turning brown, there may be an insect, disease or water issue that needs to be addressed.

If you are concerned, you can take several photos of the tree and attach them to a reply email. One close-up and one full-length photo would be helpful.

Please see attachment:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/2123.html