allergy to spice

Asked October 29, 2013, 6:22 PM EDT

I have an "allergy" to spice, but can't identify which spice...I believe it is linked to red pepper, paprika or similar. Situation: any food eaten at Popeye's and only some hot wing type spices at other restaurants will cause me to have a tremendous nose bleed immediately. Interestingly the new hot wings McDonald's has recently made is the first "hot tasting" item of food that I have no problem eating! The managers said it is a "rub"......of course, I cannot get ingredients from the restaurants involved other than Popeye's showing me their list on a box which had red pepper spice mix.

Currently I avoid all red pepper, paprika and Mexican "hot" items but would like to know which is really the culprit...Can you help?

Clay County Missouri

3 Responses


I recommend going to an allergist. Allergists can perform skin tests and pinpoint the specific substances or materials you might be allergic to. Your primary care physician can also help and point you in the right direction.

Hope this information can help. Thank you for using eXtension.

well thank you. I thought you might have some insight in blood vessels in the nose vs. food allergy. I think skin tests are for something skin related, rashes, fever, etc.


That is not correct. Skin tests also known as "scratch tests" are used to see what a person might be allergic to. An allergist is the professional properly trained and prepared to answer your questions about allergic reactions and do these tests. Your primary care physician could point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps. Thank you for using eXtension.