subbing peppers

I have a recipe for stewed toms using bell peppers and I want to sub anaheims. The recipe doesn't have any vinegar or lemon juice.

Josephine County Oregon

If I read your question correctly you are making stewed tomatoes and the recipe calls for bell peppers and you want to substitute Anaheims. It is safe to substitute different kinds of peppers in the same amount. You mentioned lemon juice or vinegar. That is only added to salsa recipes that are safe for canning. Stewed tomatoes are generally pressure canned because of the added peppers and onions.

Unless you are sure this is a laboratory tested recipe for canning from a reliable source, The recommendation is that all tomato-vegetable mixtures be processed in a pressure canner according to the directions for the vegetable in the mixture that has the longest processing time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for using Ask an expert

Nellie Oehler