Two questions, please: When should I prune my hydrangas? They are getting too...

Two questions, please: When should I prune my hydrangas? They are getting too tall. Also, same question about my echinacea.Thank you

Prince George's County Maryland shrubs pruning hydrangeas echinacea

The type of pruning you do depends on the type of hydrangeas you have. Big leaf hydrangea or Hydrangea macrophylla should not be pruned back to the ground because you will also prune off the stems that produce the flowers. The following is our publication about pruning hydrangeas and it will also help you identify the type of hydrangeas that you have.
http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_docs/programs/hgic/HGIC_Pubs/HG%20106_Pruning_hydrange...

Leaving the seedheads on the echinacea for the winter will provide food for many birds. However, leaving the seedheads also means seedlings in the spring. If you do not want a lot of seedlings, leave only a small number of seedheads for the winter. If you find the seed heads unattractive, you can prune down to basal foliage and remove any dead plant material.