How do you sod over a dead lawn?

A lawn fertilizer company accidentally killed my lawn by putting down the wrong chemical. They are going to fix the problem, however the company they hired is planning on putting topsoil over the dead lawn then sod over that. Will this work? My lawn mowing guy says the dead sod should be removed then re-sodded. What do you recommend?

Hennepin County Minnesota lawns and turf horticulture

Whether seeding or sodding an area, preparation of the soil is critical, yet often neglected in establishment. The dead sod should be removed and good top soil incorporated into the existing soil before the new sod goes in. The lawn care company may want to use the most "affordable" way to fix their error, but it is very unlikely that the new sod will get established in a thin layer of soil that is laying on a thick, impenetrable layer of dead sod.
Here is a link from the University of Minnesota that gives you lots of information about good lawn care:
http://www.sustland.umn.edu/maint/maint.htm

I hope this answers your questions. Please contact AaE again if you need more information.