How can I approach the city to keep my chickens?

Asked October 15, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT

I live in Southgate, Michigan (Wayne County in subdivision), and currently have 5 hens. I was told to get rid of them. They are very clean and well maintained. How can I approach the city about keeping them—code amendment, RTFA, GAAMPS? Thanks for any advice.

Wayne County Michigan poultry raising chickens backyard chickens

1 Response

You can request a code amandment to allow some limited farm animals in your zoning district. However, your city council will need to be supportive of such an amendment. Some communities, such as Detroit, have ordinances that regulate farm uses within the City.

For RTFA, generally you will need to be operating in a manner consistent with a GAAMPS. You may want to talk to Wayne Whitman with the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development. His number is 517-335-5849.