Wine history

I am trying to find out when wine makers began to scrutinize the process and check for types of yeast, acid levels, and other subtleties that impact wine quality. I understand that many of these measurements did not exist hundreds of years ago. If someone can help me I would really be grateful

Kings County New York

Hi,

I am the state extension viticulturist in Pennsylvania and unfortunately I don't know that much about enology. But I know some smart people who might be able to help you. I would begin with Sigrid Gertsen-Shibbye at Lallemand, the French yeast and wine products company. She knows just about everything. You can reach her at Sigrid@lallemand.com. You could also ask Anna-Katharine Mansfield, the research enologist at Cornell University - akm87@cornell.edu. I think they will be able to help you. If you can't get the answer you need, contact the Penn State extension enologist, Denise Gardner at dxg241@psu.edu. Good luck!

Sincerely, Mark L Chien

http://pawinegrape.com